Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Crashing Again

I was doing well all week, with more energy than I've had since I first became sick in June.  My energy and mental clarity at the office were at almost pre-ME levels.  But unfortunately I crashed yesterday.

Throughout the week, my wife and I had been looking forward to Saturday's dinner reservations at new restaurant.  This would be one of our first times eating out since our daughter was born in August.  Then I awoke yesterday morning feeling like  I'd been hit by a nasty flu bug.  It was the same, familiar flu-like illness.

We still made the reservations, and I tried to forget about how I was feeling.  This dinner was important to my wife, as it was a celebration of her year-end bonus from work.  I'm glad I forced myself to go.  Seeing my wife smile and enjoy her few hours of freedom from the routine of breastfeeding and swaddling our baby was worth the struggle.  

As far as the causes of the crash, I have two theories.

1.  I took an oil of oregano capsule for the first time on Friday.  It is supposed to be powerful anti-fungal to fight candida, and boosts the immune system.  It often causes Herx reactions.

2.  I recently increased my B12 intake, and switched from the inactive to the active form of B12 (methylcobalmin.)    Supposedly when people start this protocol, their immune systems often "switches back on."  But another possibility is that the B12 is causing a deficiency in potassium or folate, as explained in this thread

3.  Then again, there's always the possibility that this is yet another unexplained crash--just part of the cycle of ME. 

I suspect that it's probably the oil of oregano, since I'd been on the active B12 for about a week already.  I'll lay off of it for a few days and then try it again and see if the same thing happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment