Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baby Calvin's Birthday Party

I'm trying to get back to regularly posting summaries of my internet research on various treatments, but I've been busy and crashed lately, so we'll have to stick to personal updates for now.

We hosted my daughter's first birthday party over the weekend with thirty guests at our house.  The party featured all the usual amusing scenes of an infant's birthday party, including the obligatory photo-op of baby covered head to foot in cake frosting, and baby's interest in wrapping paper over the actual presents.  Naturally, my daughter was bewildered by the whole event at first, but seemed to relish the attention by the end.

I crashed again after the party.  I, of course, knew that I would crash, but made a calculated decision to enjoy the party and pay the price later.  I'm still on a bit of a mental high from the social aspect, which eases the frustration of the physical crash slightly.  At least this time, the guests all came to me, and not vice versa.

August has been a bad month for grandparents.  I started the month with 3 still living and am ending the month with just one.  On top of losing my paternal grandfather earlier in the month, I lost my maternal grandmother last week.  Ostensibly, this would require yet another out of town trip to the funeral - this time a one hour flight to San Jose on Saturday.  So far this summer, I've kept up with all of my family obligations and dutifully paid the price afterwards.  However, this might be the occasion where I finally say "no" and do what I need to do to get off of this push/crash cycle...at least for a while.

On the one hand, it's not fair to my mother and late grandmother that I made all of these other recent family obligations but might miss this one.  But on the other hand, it's just bad luck that my grandmother's funeral occurs last in a gauntlet of family obligations since the beginning of August:  funeral, wedding, birthday party, funeral.   I think my grandmother would understand...I hope.  At this moment, though, I'm still not sure what I'm going to do...

Finally, in recent weeks I purchased both a heart rate monitor and a far infrared sauna, and am enjoying some enlightening results from both.  I plan to write posts about both of them after I've had time to experiment further and draw more concrete conclusions.

3 comments:

  1. Your grandmother would definitely understand. The important thing is that you were there for her during her life. I am so very sorry for your losses, Patrick. I have lost many family members over the last 5 years, so I totally understand. And as much as I also try to meet those family obligations, it is not always possible. Don't forget to take care of yourself.

    So glad you also had the joy of your daughter's first birthday to counter all the sorrow lately! Children are just such a joy - and so wonderful at that age in particular! My oldest just turned 18 this month - it really does seem like yesterday that he had that bewildered look on his face at his 1st birthday party, with frosting smeared on his face! It goes by in a flash, so enjoy every moment.

    Don't forget to take care of yourself!

    Sue

    P.S. Hi to Patrick's Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear of the death of your grandparents. Difficult times like that are made so much more difficult with illness. I'm so glad you got to enjoy your daughter's birthday though! Sometimes its worth the crash! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miriam, I really appreciate it. Yes, it was worth the crash!

      Delete