Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Saturday, November 17, 2012

New, cautious workout plans

The vacation is going along swimmingly. Our daughter was brought down to join us for the second half of the vacation by grandma. Thanks Grandma! Not surprisingly, my health has remained steady given that I've had nothing to do for the last few days but sleep in and relax by the shore and/or pool.

I've had plenty of time over the last few days to think about where I am in my progress toward improved health and what the next step might be. My goal now is to very cautiously take the next step and start working out again. For the last six months i've practiced yoga periodically, but never on any kind of regular routine. Looking back at my health chart, I see that I'd often squeeze in a cluster of 2 or 3 yoga sessions across a few days when I was feeling well, then skip 7 to 10 days. Clearly, I'll never make any progress with this kind of erratic routine.

So my goal is to start practicing at least a little yoga every other day, starting with ten minute at-home sessions and cautiously increasing the amount if I continue to feel well. This schedule should fit in well with my existing sauna routine, which is also an every-other-day deal. I'll do yoga on the sauna off-days.

If the regular yoga routine sticks, after a while I'll see about starting back up with some light cardio workouts. But for now I'll take things slow so I don't undo the progress I've made.

Wish me luck, and as always, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the info about how to comment. i created a google account.

    i started Equilibrant yesterday @ 1/2 tablet. it hit about 2 hours after i took it. my body isn't reacting with a normal crash exactly, but i have been hit with body aches (normal), extra sore throat, fuzzy head, and a bit of burning in my chest. i also have this wierd kind of dry mouth. i take it these are good signs!

    cudos on your new exercise routine. i will pray it is effective. i hope to get back to tai-chi this winter. i swim and stretch in the pool in the warmer months. though it has been warm here...our pool isn't heated right now :/

    how fun to have your daughter join you and your wife at the Del! san diego is our vacation spot too...Shelter Island.

    i notice you don't have the enterovirus foundation website on your blog. Dr. C and his son are both board members. i am confused about the contagioun issue. Dr. C told me i'm not contagious, but the website says enteroviruses are highly contagious. i'm wondering if the contagion is only when one is first infected. can you shed any light on this?

    thanks again for your blog!
    cris...RestingInHim...daily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cris, it's great to hear about your Equilibrant experiences. I seem to recall reacting the same way when I first started taking it. Hopefully it will lessen (or already HAS lessened). According to Dr. C, that's how you know it's going to work for you. Apparently some people never get over the initial start-up reaction...it just keeps going for them. Hopefully that's not you.

      That's cool that you vacation in San Diego too. And that's a good question about the contagion issue, I am not sure what the answer is. If I had to guess, I'd say it has something to do with the fact that enteroviruses ARE contagious, but that it takes a certain genetic susceptibility or weakened immune system to be hit hard by them like we were. That's why not everyone who drinks dirty, contaminated water gets CFS for instance. Perhaps we have already passed it onto others but all they experienced was a subclinical immune reaction that quickly took care of the pathogen, and now they've built a natural immunity.

      I'm going to add the enterovirus foundation to the blog. Good suggestion.

      Hope you are doing well,

      patrick

      Delete