Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Tracking my efforts to beat Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), aka CFIDS, aka CFS

Friday, August 16, 2013

Update on my new brain fog medicine

I don't even want to put the name of the drug in the title or first sentence of this post because that's when it gets picked up by Google and I start receiving unwanted hits from outside the ME/CFS community.

Now that we've dispensed with that space-filler, I can tell you we're talking about Adderall.  My first post about Adderall was here.

Yesterday I had another, more serious attack of brain fog -- one that would have crushed last Friday's brain fog into oblivion.  So this was a better test for the Adderall.  Again, I took only a quarter of a 20 mg tablet (for those that are math challenged like me, that's 5mg, which is a very small dose).

My impression is that Adderall isn't going to be the wonder cure to brain fog that I had hoped.  Granted, I took a very small dose, but something tells me a higher dose won't matter.  I didn't feel that the Adderall really cleared the brain fog or reduced the feeling of brain inflammation, rather, it simply made it easier for me to power through the brain fog and focus my thoughts in spite of the fog.  But whenever I took a break from whatever I was focused on and assessed how I was feeling, that tell-tale sense of brain inflammation was still there.  Somehow I don't think a higher dose will change that.

The best analogy I can come up with is, imagine that having no brain fog is like running on a flat hard surface.  Brain fog is like trying to run in 2 feet of water.  So I was hoping that the Adderall would take the water away.  Instead, it simply built up my leg muscles so that it became easier to run through water, which is of course helpful, but not nearly as good as if the water were gone.

I'd be curious to hear from any other ME/CFS patients who have taken Addy if your experiences were the same.

                                                            _________________

For now I think my best bet for clearing brain fog is to get back on Vitamin B12.  I hardly ever had brain fog issues during the 9 months that I was on a B12 protocol previously (Fredd's protocol), and it only started creeping up after I stopped taking B12.  (Coincidence? Maybe, but B12 is the most oft-cited treatment for brain fog on the message boards, by my assessment.)

I'm just now finishing the preliminary steps and the "short route" supplements in Yasko's protocol, so I'll be adding B12 back into my regimen again soon.

1 comment:

  1. My mom and I both have ME/CFS and she has taken Addy for about a year. She takes it sparingly and also takes a low dose of Provigil for brain fog. I have taken Adderal a few times and it seems to help on the days when fatigue is my worst symptom. Like you, most days I feel like I have the flu.

    ReplyDelete